Monday, March 9, 2009

Things to know..

So, I'm a little past the half way mark on my journey, and there are some 44 days or so left. Spring break is done, and the first half of the semester did not really go my way, but I've decided that I will be the master of my fate, and try to make the most of my experience here, academically at least, socially, I'm doing better than I'd ever imagined..but that's later on.

Adjusting to any type of new situation in life can be difficult, and can sometimes prove to be overwhelming, but as we get further and further vested into our new situations, we find ways to make do, it's just what we do. I'd just like to take this time to offer a bit of friendly and necessary advice if you were to ever travel to Canada, or some place with a similar climate.

First of all, don't believe the hype. It's cold, but it's not THAT cold. Before I left to come here, I was advised that one GOOD winter coat would suffice, along of course with a few sweaters and clothing that can serve as layers, but of course this did not happen. I allowed my dear sweet mother, and other friends to influence me, clouding my better judgement, and over packed, bringing a lot of unnecessary items. Seriously, a GOOD winter coat, which will be a bit costly, but totally worth it ,along with clothing that can serve as layering, will suffice. Clothing that can serve as layers can be purchased from anywhere, but I made my purchases from Old Navy, they were pretty inexpensive, and proved to do the job just right. You want to pick up long sleeve shirts, or pull overs that aren't too heavy, but can warm you up.

A good winter coat will be costly as I've mentioned before, but keep in mind that you want to avoid getting sick, and also think of it as an investment, you never know when you'll end up in Canada again, or somewhere with a similar climate. They roughly range from around 100 - 200.00 dollars, depending on the brand, size, and quality.

Another thing to be conscious of is the amount of clothing you bring, especially if travelling for education purposes. If you're going to school for a semester, or for 4 years, it really doesn't seem to make a difference, there's no need to bring your entire wardrobe, trust me, you'll find things where you're going to wear over time...TRUST me. Lol.

Long Johns: These are essential as well, oh, and please, get the right size. I got a pair, and oh my...not the right size at all. Don't get your regular size, they're really snug, so you may want to purchase them one or two sizes too big, depending on your body size.

Boots: Please get a good pair of boots. Ensure that they are winter boots, and not fashion boots, Gentlemen, a nice rugged pair of Timbalands will do just fine, Ladies I'm not entirely sure which brand will work best for you, but you want to make sure that they have thick soles, and can stand the water, and make sure they have a good grip as well, falling down on ice is not something you want to do.

Personal Care items: soap, toothepaste, deodarant etc, please there's no need to bring the entire Wal-mart with you, those things are universally sold, of course you should come with a travel pack size of everything just until you're settled in, and maybe one or two extra things as you deem necessary, but it's not as if the place you're going won't have them. The lighter you travel, the less hassle you'll have at the airport, and the less stress you'll incur. This advice is for both males and females, we all know our bodies, and females, yes I know your hair can be a big deal, but get a nice simple style that you think can last for at least a month, there may not be a hair stylist that meets your standards nearby, but rest assured that all will indeed be well.

One of our most natural concerns as human beings going into new situations and new environments is "will they like me?" Most likely they will, a lot of us don't want to admit it, but we do want to be accepted, and generally liked, of course there will be some that don't but that's ok, for the most part, you'll do just fine.

Also too, find your roots, get to know your Bahamian counterparts, if not all, some. Become familiarized with them because they know what you need to, who knows? Perhaps it can lead to new found friendships that can last for a lifetime.

Finally, be thankful. There are many people that would love to be where I'm at, and where you could one day be. Always be thankful, both to God, and to the people that afforded you the opportunity in the first place. Afterall, no one likes ungrateful people. That's never sexy. Let me just say it again, just in case, after all, you can never be too thankful...Thank you COB, and Mr. Russell for allowing me to spread my wings in a way that I could not have done at this time without your assistance. I am truly grateful for your time, efforts, support and words of encouragement over the past three months.

Finally again, lol, come prepared to have a BLAST. I've done so many things since I've been here, and the fun just seems to keep coming. Fashion shows, ski trips, meeting new friends, late night talks, it's truly an experience like no other.

This has been collegeguy.

1 comment:

  1. Collegeguy, you make me laugh, but that's very good advise you're giving.

    ReplyDelete