Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Reason for the Season

So today is Christmas Day, the day that we have alll been waiting for. The day that everyone has been preparing for since November 1. All that money spent, all the gas wasted, the food eaten and that to be eaten, the paint bought, the new hair-dos and a few hair donts..all for this one day. It's amazing how one day can have soo much control over an entire people. One day has the power to make you knowingly create more and more debt for yourself, and it's no problem, because it's all in the name of Christmas.

As I was making my way home yesterday from work, sitting impatiently in traffic, I thought I'd take a minute to observe my surroundings, see what was going on...as I was doing this, I thought to myself, "aren't we in a recession?" Aren't things supposed to be "rough"? By the looks of things, I'd say that all is better than well, all must be excellent!

Readers, please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "mash anyone's corn" as the saying goes, nor am I trying to tell you how to spend your money, as it is yours and you've worked damn hard to earn it, {I hope}...but I encourage us all to sit down and reflect upon the REAL reason for the season, the REAL reason this one glorious day is celebrated.

On this day, Christmas Day, born to save, is Christ the Lord. He and He alone is the reason for this day. He was born to save us from eternal damnation, sent to renew and reinforce in us the love of God and all His mercies. It is imperative then, that we always remember that Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior is indeed the REAL reason for the season. Yes it's wonderful when you can express your love for someone with a gift that makes their year, but God did that same thing for us many many years ago, and all He wants is for us to remember that, pay homage to the one He sent to save and restore us.

I encourage you then, on this day, Christmas Day, as you exchange gifts, create new memories, and eat that delectable food, thank God for the beauteous gift He gave us, ask Him to renew in you the spirit of thankfulness and appreciation, so that no more may we forget what the REAL reason for the season is.

Merry Christmas to all, and best wishes in the New Year.

Stay tuned,

Collegeguy.

No comments:

Post a Comment