Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Landfall...finally!

So, here I am at Acadia Univeristy in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada. Did you hear me? Perhaps I should say it again..no? Ok, fine, I won't...I honestly thought I would not make it here. Time had sped by so quickly, then all of a sudden, on the day of, it seemed as though it wanted to stand still. There were SOOOO many obstacles, soooo many things I had to do, soooo many reasons to go from zero to hero....but alas I relaxed, remained patient, and thanked the one that sustains me.



For record purposes however, let's just give an account of said obstacles. It seemed that all would be smooth sailing if I went by my experience at the airport in Nassau...that went really smoothly, so I was excited. So we get on the plane, another 4 seater, but I say it's a plane nonetheless, after all they could've sent us by boat right? Right, the flight was better than others I'd experienced in prior travelling experiences, so that was good. Upon arrival to Canada however, we were held up for some 45 minutes to an hour maybe, because the plane that was docked before us, would not or could not rather move. So we had to sit there until it decided it was time to move on. First obstacle hurdeled. Next, we're in the airport, going through Canada's Customs, the lady stamps our passports, smiles, makes a crack about how we're going to LOVE the weather seeing as we're from the Bahamas and all, then we get to the Immigration part of it, and the young man at the counter says we can go no futher...that's right, you can't go any further. I'm like pardon me sir? Why whatever do you mean? It was hilarious at that point, because I found it so funny. He says that we had to produce an acceptance letter from our respective institutions otherwise we'd be sent back to the Bahamas. That part there was more than I could bare, I almost croaked laughing. Anyway, I digress...that obstacle after about two hours, was hurdeled as well. Next hurdle to jump, was coming up shortly, as we arrive outside, excited to head to wonderful Acadia University, we're expecting a car service, or someone with a sign reading Ahmad or Amina...this would not be the case. I went outside to see if perhaps the young man or woman sought refuge from the cold and went into his or her car, this too was not the case. We'd taken so long to get sorted out at Immigration, that the people leave us. So we're stuck at this point. We inquire about a cab, but oh no, that can't work, that costs an arm, a leg, and two of my most valuable possessions, but alas, again, I digress. What about the bus? Oh, yea, let's try the bus! Only problem is, the bus may not take us directly to the school, plus you'd have to take like three, 25 smackaroos a piece..are you laughing yet? Because I'm rolling over dying with laughter. Anyway, that was taken care of after a while as well. So now we have a ride, we're all in the car, and we're on our way to school...YAY! Right?...keep reading...

We arrive at the school, it's beauteous..the campus is just gorgeous, all covered in snow, the people are so friendly, everyone's excited to see us...this lifts our spirits, we're excited as well, a bit cold, but that's ok. So we head to the office to pick up our student Id's room keys, etc...Mina love goes first, yay! "Come around here and take your photo ma'am...Sir if you wait right here, I'll be right with you" says the lovely lady behind the counter. "Ok come along sir, it's your turn. What's your name?" "Amad R. Thompson" I reply. "Hmm. That's weird, you're showing up as not registered." "I'm sorry ma'am, that's almost impossible, what does that mean?" Well Mr. Thompson, that means you won't be able to be issued a room key, or have access to the meal hall" "Are you saying then ma'am that I'm homeless and will go to bed hungry?" You should have someone call the paramedics, because I know you're laughing almost to the point of unconsciousness at this point. No worries though, because Jesus loves me, and he smiled on me. The nice young man at the counter offered me a temporary id and meal card voucher, so all was well.

Despite all of those challenges, I made it! I made it! I made it!...What a mighty God we serve right!? Awesome to say the least. I'm here, I'm in my room, I've been to classes, I've been to the local mall, to a bar, to a WALMART...wow...I've done sooo much. It's all sooo much! Even though it seemed as though this moment would never arrive, it has, and I'm soo thankful.

Someone once said to me, each time you open your mouth, speak life, so I'm speaking life, what is done is done, and what will be will be, so I'm going to let bygons be bygons, and live life one day at a time.

I'm here you guys, let's see how this story unfolds!

This has been Collegeguy...

No comments:

Post a Comment